Thursday, February 15, 2007

This week being Valentines, I've been hearning a great deal of debate about the holiday. "hallmark-created bullshit" has been thrown around alot as has " persecution of the singles." Now, as a girl who is in all honesty not really about a lot of fancy going out on dates and all of that, I understand the general embarrassment at letting your feelings be known, and being a sap about how important that someone, or the lack of a someone is in your life. The general celebration of romantic love can make others feel more alone than at any other time in the year.

My argument is this, take the week the way my parents taught me to. as a time to celebrate the people you love, romantically or not. It is a time of thanksgiving with chocolate instead of turkey, strawberries in place of cranberry sauce. Run with it, take some time and revel in what you do have, make the holiday into something you can celebrate. so often the people who love us platonically turn out to be more important than the more transient but heady nature of the romance that fills and leaves our lives.

So happy love week to everyone, I'm thankful for you.

No comments: