Sunday, June 08, 2008

it's amazing the characters you meet on the road.

Carmen, this latin woman with long curly hair, who is a force to be reckoned with was the lady at the front desk of the hotel I'm staying at in Florida. She told me where to find the best food near my hotel (this little cuban hole in the wall: queso, huevos y jamon sandwiches y mango milkshakes, yum!) how to find the bus, and about her loser of an ex husband. and how to swear more in spanish, woot!

this older Indian couple on the bus, Mahel and his wife whose name I didn't catch. They sat down next to me, her in a lime sari, him in a casual suit, and just started talking because I smiled. Within 5 minutes we shared where we came from, where we'd like to be going, and a dozen other incosequential things that give you that warm happy traveling feeling. It reminded me how much fun talking to strangers is, one of the best parts of traveling. They blessed me for my smile, and told me not to lose it.

that being said, I think waiting for the bus yesterday was a better choice than getting into any of the cars that stopped on a highway in miami and asked me if I wanted a ride somewhere. little sketchy. being a woman traveling, some basic caution is definintely necessary. the catcalls still crack me up though. boys *sigh*

time to catch the bus!
and then onto Costa Rica.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you still use free service like blogspot.com or wordpress.com but
they have less control and less features.
shift to next generation blog service which provide free websites for
your blog at free of cost.
get fully controllable (yourname.com)and more features like
forums,wiki,CMS and email services for your blog and many more free
services.
hundreds reported 300% increase in the blog traffic and revenue
join next generation blogging services at www.hyperwebenable.com
regards
www.hyperwebenable.com